1. DON'T set up an Instagram account with the intention to brand “you” as “your” MLM business or turn it into one big advertisement. If you’re doing this STOP it right now! Instagram is a social site not a business-to-business site.
2. DO set up your Instagram with the intention to brand “you” as a leader by leading with value driven content.
3. DON'T post all the time about your business. Trying to sell all the time on Social media is like putting mosquito repellent and repelling your followers. DO post things of value like, marketing tips, quotes, videos etc. Follow the 80/20 rule (80% value and 20% promo)
4. DON'T sign up only to rarely return or post on your Instagram.
5. DO sign up and be consistent with posting. If you want people to follow you give them a reason too… You will only get desirable results if you post consistently on Instagram.
6. DON'T go nuts with hash tags.. Too many hashtags makes you look spammy and Instagram is putting a stop to it. Many are losing accounts and landing themselves in hashtag jail.
7. DO use hashtags but follow Instagrams rules and only post up to 20 relevant hashtags. Key word is “relevant”. You’re hashtags should be relevant to your post.
If you are posting a food recipe and you put #like4like that is not a relevant hashtag. A example of a relevant hashtag for a food recipe would be #healthyeating or #healthyrecipes
TIP: 2-3 hashtags in the content of the post. 15-20 hashtags in the comments of the post.
*BONUS TIP: Use hashtags with 500,000 or less uses. Why? Imagine trying to find your photo and a Library full of over a million books. When you use hashtags that have fewer uses, you're more likely to be found.
8. DON'T overdo the selfies… Too many selfies will annoy your followers and once you lose a follower your chance of them ever following you again is zero.
9. DO sprinkle images and videos of your day to day business. Make it like a behind the scenes look at what you do in your business with a occasional fun pic of something fun you like to do outside of your business.
10. DON'T be a copycat! Don’t steal someone elses photo, change the filter, add your website or watermark and call it your own.
11. DO share and give the original poster credit. If you want to share a photo be sure to download the repost app so you can always give credit to the original owner of the photo you want to share.
12. DON'T forget to protect your own images and videos.
13. DO always protect your own Instagrams by adding a watermark or website name to all your images so no one can take them without giving you credit. Examples are android app called Add Watermark or for iPhone you can use iWatermark to easily create a watermark and add it to your photos.
14. DON'T get on Instagram for your sole benefit. Meaning don’t just sit there and post expecting others to join in on conversation with you but not return the favor.
15. DO socialize and be reciprocal as much as possible. You will attract a lot more people by just making it a point to comment and like others pictures or videos on Instagram. Become a top contributor to the Instagram community.
16. DO post interesting pics that pop by using the filters and some apps to add text to your images. Apps like WordSwag, Canva, and Photofy.
17. DON'T over post! Post every 3 to 4 hrs and never more than 5 times in a day. Even though you cannot get penalized on Instagram for posting too much at this time, your followers don't want to be bombarded by a ridiculous amount of posts. I like to see 2 to 5 posts a day for best results.